Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Evolution of a Paranormal Investigator...

~by Jeff Ulmer

Because this is my first blog entry, there are a few things the reader should know about me in advance. First, I am not an elegant writer nor do I pretend to be. I am a scientist. My thing is numbers. Secondly, I voice my beliefs and speak my mind. I will not apologize for that. It is not my intention to harm anyone nor is it my place to convince anyone of the existence of ghosts or spirits. Believe what you will. This is America, people!
Often I am asked how I got into paranormal studies and investigations. This is not an easy question to answer. As a matter of fact, it is quite complicated. Ultimately, I chose to get involved to help people who suffer from the chaos I experienced growing up while seeking validation and answers for myself.
My first memorable experiences with the paranormal began with a move from Mississippi to Arkansas at age 5. In our new home, faucets turned on AND off, I often heard deep breathing, and just knew there were others around me. I could feel them! The problem was no other family member experienced these things. The activity only occurred when I was alone. I would run like a little girl crying to my parents. They did not know what to make of it. This went on for years.
I gave up on going to my parents with these things because they didn’t get it. One night, as I lay in bed, my mind drifting between conscious and subconscious thought, I started hearing audible voices. Not like “Jesus told me to run through town butt-naked and get him some cupcakes” voices. As a matter of fact, they weren’t even talking to me. It was just random conversation back and forth at an extremely slow (super creepy) frequency.
Of course, my mother, being a medical doctor, took me to get checked out by professionals. The doctor’s conclusion was that I had a “healthy imagination”. No schizophrenia. No mental disorders. Yet each night, the strange psychic phenomena continued. There was no person I felt safe going to with what I perceived. I worried what others would think of me. So, I chose not to believe. I denied it. Faith was not in my vocabulary. The scientific side of my brain took over. I had to “see” to believe. At times, I still do.
Years later, I was involved in an accident that left me unconscious and breathless. I had a near death experience. It was terrifying! I won’t go into great detail, but suffice to say, I was shown that without a doubt there is a great deal more to this world than what our human eyes perceive. I decided to quit questioning all the things I knew in my heart were real and true. Embracing these experiences as a gift was the only way. I wondered “perhaps this all happened for a reason? What if my ordeal could be used to help others who suffer?”
My journey in search of answers and validation had begun. The validation part came quick. “Seek and ye shall find”. The answers part is a different story. I have found that as the intensity of my paranormal adventures increases, so do my questions. I remain a skeptical believer with a profound and unshakable faith in God. The one thing I know in my heart is this is exactly what I am meant to do. I have met some of the most amazing people on my quest and we’re rocking this.

No comments:

Post a Comment