Saturday, October 31, 2009

Divine Intervention


by Jeff P. Ulmer


I was compelled to compose this entry not so much because I was asked to, but because I needed to. A truly miraculous thing happened to me roughly one year ago. Prior to this event I did not believe in miracles, per say, nor was I very spiritual. I was raised in the church, but as I entered adulthood my faith was lost to reason.

One night, as I slept, I went into respiratory arrest. To this day, no one is sure how long I was “out”. Since my near death experience (NDE) I’ve read numerous books on the subject, and all accounts seem to differ. The one common thread I have found is that the person that experiences it is forever changed. My story is no different.

Unless you’ve experienced what I have, one cannot fully understand how difficult it is to describe with words. Many accounts report a beautiful white light, feelings of euphoria, and angels or family greeting them. Few report something different, something terrifying. My experience shook me to the core of my being. It was horrific, yet also empowering.

My personal ordeal was more of an intellectual one. I was shown truths about life and our interactions in this world. First was the terrifying part. I was shown my future should I choose to stay on the same path prior to the accident. It was a living hell. No joy. No satisfaction. It was a life full of constant want, pain, and sorrow. Needless to say, this got my attention.

Next, I was shown simple, absolute truths about life: Karma, or whatever you want to call it, is real. What goes around comes around. If I intentionally hurt someone or harbor ill feelings toward them, it’s like kicking myself. There are no exceptions. Somewhere, down the line, we are all related. Also, kindness and compassion are the keys to true happiness. Something as simple as a smile can change someone’s life. It will pay you back tenfold (again… Karma).

The last revelation was quite empowering. I was shown the choice is all mine. We get to choose who we want to be in this world. I can be a force for the good in this life, or the bad. But, there was no need to live the remainder of my days in a miserable existence. Although the majority of my life had been spent selfishly, it’s alright. God had already forgiven me and loves me unconditionally. How awesome is that?

I remember coming back to consciousness like I had been struck by a bolt of lightning! I will NEVER forget that first, deep breath of life. My mother was standing over me screaming, but I could not hear her. Fortunately for me, she is a medical doctor so resuscitation was nothing new.

It took weeks to fully absorb and comprehend the gravity of what had happened. As time passed, it dawned on me I had been given a wonderful gift, and that is the gift of certainty. Clearly, there are unseen, divine sources at work. No longer was there a need, for me, to question the existence of God or an afterlife. I KNEW.

"I saw also that there was an ocean of darkness and death, but an infinite ocean of light and love, which flowed over the ocean of darkness." - George Fox


2 comments:

  1. Wow what an amazing thing to have happened to you. Consider yourself blessed to have experienced it! *hugs* Glad you are on the right path now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an amazing thing to have happened to you. Consider yourself blessed to have experienced it! *hugs* Glad you are on the right path now.

    ReplyDelete